If you travel far and wide, you’ll surely have a wide and wild view of the world! Are you an Overlanding enthusiast? To fully experience the joy of exploring your destinations, your plans must be superbly fine-tuned, right? Before the great day when the rubber finally meets the road, you need to shop for a suitable Roof Top Tent. Which are some of the best Overlanding Roof Top Tents that you must consider for your ultimate outdoor adventure? This article will guide you on identifying the very best rooftop tents in the market, and how you can make a perfect selection.
Just as off-road vehicles are known by their brand names, Overlanding Roof Top Tents have their fancy brand names with styles to match! The top Best Overlanding Roof Tops include:
- Smittybilt Overlander Tent
- Smittybilt 2883 Overland Tent
- Tepui Explorer Ayer Rooftop Tent
- Tuff Stuff Elite Overland Roof Top Tent & Annex Room, 5 Person
- Tepui Explorer Kukenam Rooftop Tent.
- Tepui Autana Sky Tent/
- Front Runner Overlanding Roof Top Tent
- YAKIMA Skyrise Roof Top Tent – 3-Person 3-Season
- ARB Simpson III Rooftop Tent
- TMB Beige Pop Up Universal Roof Overland Tent
- Overland Nomadic 4 Extended Roof Top Tent
If you’re a proud owner of a Jeep, SUV, 4×4 vehicle or a Pickup truck, choosing the most suitable Overlanding Roof Top Tent is critical.
Before we highlight the key features that keep the above rooftops on the top list, let’s have a look at some of the main questions you need to ask yourself when selecting a suitable top roof tent.
Questions to Ask When Choosing The Best Overlanding Roof Top Tents
- Does it suit your vehicle type? Is it compatible?
- Is it compatible with the Roof Bars or Roof Rack in your vehicle?
- Does it have the appropriate weight and capacity?
- What is its Seasons Approval? Is it 4 -Seasons rated?
- Which materials are the hinges and frames made of?
- Does it come with a special travel cover?
- What kind of materials is used to reinforce the base?
- Does it have at least one window and 1 door? Are they meshed to keep insects away?
- Are warranties incasing of manufacture defects or missing parts?
- Which Model or Style suits you best? Does it come with attachments to be annexed?
- Does it have a satisfactory aerodynamic design when packed?
It’s prudent that you take your time in choosing the most appropriate rooftop tent suitable for Overlanding. Some of the key factors to consider before purchasing your Roof Top Tent include:
1#. Size of The Roof Top Tent
Since tents are mounted on car roofs, there are limitations with regard to the number of people it can accommodate. Different cars can only withstand certain weights.
While some rooftop tents can accommodate up to 5 people, most car rooftops can support 2 to 3 people. If you plan to travel as a large group using a larger and stronger car, you can opt to purchase a larger and more spacious tent. Knowing the amount of weight your car roof can effectively support is critical.
2#. Weight Assessment
It’s important that you ensure that the Overlanding rooftop tent you are buying suits the weight that your car can safely carry. Excess weight can damage your car. Don’t let this happen.
You must, therefore, consider the weight of the tent, the average weight of the people it will accommodate, and the maximum weight your car roof ought to accommodate.
3#. Roof Top Tent Material or Fabric
Comfort and durability should be of concern when buying Overlanding Roof Top Tent. It’s exterior should be made of tough waterproof materials that are durable such as nylon fabric.
The tent frame materials need to light, strong, resistant to corrosion and durable. Frames and ladders made of aluminum are highly recommended. Interior components such as mattress should provide you with the desired level of comfort that you need for your overland camping.
4#. Installation Simplicity
When Overlanding, you surely don’t need a rooftop tent that is complex and will take you many hours to set up. It’s prudent that you choose tents with clear instructions and that’s super easy to set up. Setting up your tent should not be a roof-building project during your overland tours!
5#. Tent Accessories!
They say it’s the small things that make life exciting. The same applies to the Overlanding rooftop tent. Some of the key accessories you need to consider include a ladder, an annex, a rainfly, canopy or additional space.
Reasons for Choosing Overlanding Roof Top Tents
If you are planning for a long journey in remote locations, Overlanding Roof Top Tent will be your best tour partner. Here are some of the advantages that you must never ignore!
1. It’s Good for Your Safety!
Overlanding Roof Top Tent ensures that you enjoy your rests above the ground. You’ll, therefore, be safe from land animals and crawling ground insects.
2. Ready-Made Bed. It’s Convenient!
Overland Rooftop tents come with in-built mattresses making them convenient for your overland tour camping. You don’t need to carry your beddings into your car trunk. With a ready-made mattress, your outdoor camping will be smooth and convenient.
3. Simple to Fold or Setup!
As you enjoy your long tour trips, the least you need is sweating while setting up or folding your tent. With Overlanding top roof tents, you’ll be saving your energy for more explorations!
4. Provides Storage Space
Outdoor tours on remote locations demand that you carry vital necessities for your survival. Overlanding Roof Top Tent Provides you with adequate space for keeping your sleeping bag or other regular camping tents. No more choking your seating place or vehicle floor with bulging beddings!
5. No Worrying About Where to Pitch Your Tent!
With your Overlanding Top Roof Camping net, you’ll not need to worry when it comes to selecting your camping site. As long as your car is parked on stable ground, your focus will be on where you can have a perfect view from inside your rooftop tent.
10 Best Overlanding Roof Top Tent for Your Outdoor Tour
1. Smittybilt Overlander Tent
Leading in our top 10 list of best Overlanding Roof Top Tents is Smittybilt Overlander. It’s designed to fit Jeep Wrangler vehicles or other vehicles with compatible roof racks.
It comes complete with accessories that are compatible with close to 90% of roof racks making it a popular selection if you’re an Overlanding enthusiast.
- Spacious enough to with a capacity of up to 660lbs and 3 people
- Compatible with close to 90% of roof racks making it flexible
- Easy to assemble in readiness for your overloading tour
- Heavy-duty zippers for durability
- Made of high-quality waterproof material (1,500mm rainfall rating)
- Comes with a separately sold Annex Attachment 84 x 60 in inches
- Provides 4-Season protection
- Made of a strong high-quality material combination of Aluminum and polyurethane
- Very light in weight
- Equipped with a large high-density foam mattress (92”x55”) for your enhanced Overlanding camping comfort
- Fire retardant protective cover with LED lighting, and cigarette lighter option if smoking is your weakness!
- Iodized aluminum frame with a net to keep mosquitoes and insects away.
2. Smittybilt 2883 Overland Tent
When you are traveling as a family or with up to 4 people, you definitely require a larger overland top roof tent. Smittybilt 2883 is the best and largest Overlanding Roof Top Tent available in the market.
- Premium tent with the largest capacity. Can accommodate 3 to 4 people
- Designed to fit on a trailer
- Robust design to withstand rough weather conditions
- Iodized aluminum frames for strength, lightweight, and durability
- Weighs about 168 pounds
- When fully opened, it covers 122” x 76” x 51”
- Tough/heavy-duty polyester fabric
- Stainless steel hinges
- It’s waterproof ( 60mm )
- Equipped with high-density mattress for your comfort
- It comes with a convenient removable cover
3. Tepui Explorer Kukenam Rooftop Tent
Tepui Explorer Roof Top Tent is compact in design with superior-high-quality material. Being a 4-season tent, it will perform excellently in all the weather conditions qualifying it as one of the best Overlanding Roof Top tents you can go for.
- 4-Season rooftop tent for great performance in all conditions
- Has a protective coating making through a DWR (Durable Water Repellant) Treatment.
- Equipped with Rainfly to protect your tent from rain, snow, and excess sunlight
- Waterproof to keep water and moisture out of the tent
- Come with mounting brackets that can fit in universal roof bars. Easy to install
- Has a ladder that is easily released
- It comes with a protective net to keep mosquitoes and small insects away
- Designed to accommodate about 3 people
- Mold resistant UV fabric making it suitable for use in any season
4. Tepui Autana Sky Tent
Tepui Autana Sky is an Overlanding Roof Top tent with an elongated structure allowing for more attachments. Annex attachment makes it unique and no doubt qualifies it to be one of the top Overlanding roof top tents that will add charm to your camping experience.
- Has 3 color options to choose from (Green, Siberian Camo, and Tan)
- Comes with a 2.5” mattress with a firm/solid surface
- A design allowing you to sit normally
- 4 Season Roof Top Tent that is easy to set up
- Made of superior quality protective material
- Comes with Annex attachment with a private storage area/canopy
- Provides enough space for 3 people
- Mold resistant and UV material. Heavy-duty PVC material
Click HERE For More Features and Price on Amazon
5.Tepui Explorer Ayer Rooftop Tent
If you have a smaller vehicle for your overland explorations and looking for a suitable Roof Top Tent, Tepui Explore Ayer will suit you just fine. Compared to its two sisters Kukenham and Autana, this Roof Top Tent model is more compact. Being a 4 Season tent, it’s will perform greatly under diverse weather conditions.
- Small in size and can accommodate only 2 people
- It comes with a free 2.5” foam mattress
- Has wire mesh panels on both the sides and on the door
- Has free storage available
- Equipped with Canopy Attachments and Annex
- Has storage pockets for gears and other camping accessories
- Highly suitable for small vehicles such as SUVs
- 4- Season Overlanding Roof Top Tent
6. Tuff Stuff Elite | Overlanding Roof Top Tent & Annex Room, 5 Person
So long as your vehicle has a roof rack with a crossbar, Tuff Stuff Elite Overlanding Roof Top Tent will be a perfect fit. It comes with Annex attachment. You can easily roll its heavy-zipped door for enhanced air circulation.
- Comes with a free Annex if you go for the Ranger model
- Can accommodate 5 people
- Have awnings that screen the windows
- Equipped with a mattress, rainfly, and shoe bag
- Designed with upper vents which discharge warm air
7. Front Runner Overlanding Roof Top Tent
If you are looking for the best lightweight Overlanding Roof Top Tent in the market that suites 2 people, Front Runner Overlanding Roof Top Tent is your ultimate choice. Its aerodynamic design eliminates wind resistance during the trip. In the long-run, this leads to a saving in fuel consumption. To mount on Front Runner, you’ll need a suitable mounting kit.
- Compact design measuring 2.4m in length and 1.3m in width (ladder not included)
- Designed with 3 windows and privacy panels
- Tough heavy-duty 400D poly-cotton fabric
- PVC coating for mold and fire resistance
- Low roof profile
- Very light in weight (40kg/88.18lbs)
- Comes with its mattress
8. YAKIMA Skyrise Roof Top Camping Tent
Made of a double-wall roof, Yakima Skyrise Rooftop tent allows for the attachment of a waterproof annex which is sold separately. It’s simple and easy to set up which makes it one of the best Overlanding Roof Top Tents in the market.
- Comes with a mattress
- Simple to install and require minimal installation tools
- Provides for adequate ventilation
- Waterproof 210D waterproof polyester fabric
- Lightweight with aluminum frames
- Comes with a foldout lander (free standing)
- 3-Season raging with a double-wall
9. ARB Simpson III Rooftop Tent
If you’re an overlander, you’ll surely require a Roof Top Camping Tent that is easy to assemble and to fold at any of your selected camping locations. That’s where the new model ARB Simpson 3 Roof Top Tent comes in as one of the best Overlanding Roof Top Tents in your list of options. It takes just a few minutes to pitch up, and pretty easy to fold which saves on time.
- Has an Annex attachment which can be used as a changing room
- Meshed doors and window to keep mosquitoes and other insects away
- Easy to fold when moving
- Framework made of Anodized Aluminum for desired strength
- Anodised Aluminum framework it desired strength and corrosion resistance
- Equipped with storage pockets for convenience use.
- Has a foam mattress (65mm thickness)
10. TMB Beige Pop Up Roof Overland Tent Universal for Cars Trucks SUVs Camping Travel Mobile
Outdoor environments can be tough and unpredictable. You may decide to go for TMB Pop Up Overland Tent. This is a hard shell tent that is waterproof and reinforced with ABS Fiberglass.
Its excellent performance makes it one of the best Outlanding Roof Top Top Roof Tents available in the market for your consideration.
- Compatible with most vehicles which have either crossbars or Roof Rails
- Comes with a ladder and additional storage bag measuring 84”x49”x13”
- Has pre-installed foam mattress for your camping comfort
- Equipped with snap straps and zippers
- Pop Up setup mechanism
- Fine mesh door and windows to keep insects at bay
- Weight capacity of 660lbs
- Shell made of ABS Fiberglass
- Comes with a 6-month warranty covering manufacture defects
- Suitable for small-size family
11. Overland Nomadic 4 Extended Roof Top Tent
Another 5-star Overlanding Rooftop tent from Overland Vehicles System is the Nomadic 4 Extended Roof Top Tent. It comes with a factory rack so you’ll not need to do the drilling or make any modifications when setting it up. It boasts of marine-grade fabric, waterproof Rain Fly, and a high-density 3-inch foam mattress among others! Before making a purchase, remember to confirm the capacity of your car’s rack weight.
- Comes with telescopic tubular ladders
- Foam mattress with pillows
- Mini cleaning broom and dustpan
- Maring Grade polyester-cotton canvas (600D)
- Needs no drilling during installation
- Has a cover and 6 inbuilt storage pockets
- Comes with hand-held LED lights
- Breathable windows
Overlanding Roof Top Tents-FAQs
What’s the average number of people that a Top Roof Tent can accommodate?
Answer: Different rooftop tents have different capacities. A standard Overlanding rooftop tent can comfortably accommodate 2 people. There are however larger tents that can accommodate 4-5 people.
What’s the Average Weight of a Roof Top Tent?
Answer: Depending on the design and materials used, rooftop tents vary in both size and weight. The average weight of a standard rooftop tent is about 45Kg.